The Center for Hearing and Communication founded International Noise Awareness Day to promote awareness of the dangers of long-term exposure to noise. Join us and professional organizations, community activists and individuals around the world in celebrating the 15th Annual International Noise Awareness Day on April 28, 2010.
What Schools Can Do
- Heighten Student Awareness about Noise
- Choose age-appropriate curriculum and provide a unit on noise and its impact on hearing.
- Evaluate the Noise in Your Own School
- As a student project, students can measure and compare the loudness levels in different parts of the school (i.e., library, cafeteria).
- Join in a Letter Writing Campaign
- Students can choose a noise issue (i.e., noisy toys, transportation, movies) and write to officials to effect change.
- Observe the Quiet Diet
Follow the recipe for the Quiet Diet and observe no noise from 2:15 p.m. to 2:16 p.m. on International Noise Awareness Day, regardless of location.